Photo Map Guide to Menorca's Beaches
Good to Know
The water quality around Menorca is exceptional with crystal clear, turquoise waters and many fine sandy Caribbean like natural beaches.
There is no such thing as a private beach on Menorca . They are all owned by the state and can be used by the public. Actually the entire coast line up to 6 meters inland is public property.
Virgin Beaches ?
Menorca is famed for it's many Beaches with no or minimal buildings and in their natural states
Choices you can trust - we're not Travel bloggers on a one off flyin-flyout visit.
Our Beach Map will allow you to see all the island's beaches and to locate any beach exactly as well as view them from the air in great detail. Remember the island is small so if you are mobile you can visit a new beach every (half) day!
Best Beaches for Children
Most of Menorca's beaches have shallow falls into the water so the waters are safe AND warm up from the sun quickly! - this makes them very suitable for even small children. Most beaches have good snorkelling due to the water quality and rocks, so in all any resort beach in Menorca is very good for children. The 'best' are marked below with a
Menorca's Best Resort Reaches?
That's really subjective, particulary as the standard is very good and the attached resort might not be your kind of place. However, the better beaches are considered to be along the south,north and eastern coasts. The western coast beaches are much smaller, with a larger amount of packaged tourism competing for their space so fuller in peak season. Thoughtful planning laws introduced in the mid 70's means there are virtually no 'hotel skylines' behind beaches and many beaches remain wonderfully natural and untouched.
Menorcan Beach Tour
For serious and occasional walkers much of the accessible coastline of Menorca is ringed by the newly reopened Cami de Cavalls offering a new way to explore and to discover yet more hidden beaches and secluded bays.
Protecting the beaches for all
Particularly on virgin beaches, take a bag for your rubbish and take it away WITH YOU. Please DO NOT leave cigarette stubs!
BEST Resort Beaches
Over the year's we've been to ALL Resorts, many times at different times of a year. Here's our Best choices.Each Beach has life-guards, first aid and a flag system for swimming safety.
A large classical picture postcode beach set in a huge horsehore shaped bay with great views on the
Fine white sandy beach set in a protective bay which makes the water very shallow and warm.
Large beach in a spectacular picturesque location backing onto a nature reserve. Deep Soft white fi
Fine soft white sandy beach set in an imposing horseshoe bay enclosed in cliffs
Deep beach with very fine soft white sands.
Soft white sands with shallow falls into the waters. Ideal for Babies and Toddlers.
Very fine white soft sands. Longest beach on Menorca just perfect for Sunset strolls
Best Virgin Beaches
What to expect?
The northern coast beaches are very varied, generally wider/larger than those in the south but are more exposed to the open sea on less calm days so can have more wind and waves. They typically have coarser sand of varying colours and big 180 degree panoramas.
The south coastline is dominated by fine grained white sandy inlets and bays often with pine forest fringed cliffs and surroundings - as they are formed from river valleys carved from softer limestone plateaus. Very Carribean like.
Many remote beaches are only accessible by going through private land. You should respect this and keep to the tracks. Some land owners charge a small fee and restrict the visitor numbers which helps keeps the beaches in their pristine state. Dress appropriately and shut ALL gates behind you. Respectful visitors are rarely turned away.
Enjoy our photo guide to Menorca's Best virgin beaches below. More are listed on an interactive Beach Map to allow you to locate them and explore the ariel photographs in detail.
Tip a small hand rake will allow you to clear any natural debris e.g. neptune seagrass.
Getting to the Beaches
Those that can be reached by car with a further walk from a parking area are marked with a The remotest and those accessible only by boat are shown on the map. You should ideally wear summer treking sandals for the ( sometimes ) 20-30 min. walks to reach them. Car parking is provided by local land owners where indicated,but will be away from the coast for preservation reasons.
Virgin Beaches will have no or minimal buildings and is in it's natural state - it is not maintained and often will have no services ( eg toilets,places to buy food or drink )on Isla den Colom Carles garcia-roca XX Taximar
Taxi Mar - Virgin Beach Taxi
From Cala Galdana and Santo Tomas providing scheduled services to the virgin beaches ( Trebaluger, Fustram and Escorxada virgin beaches ) which are not easy to reach. An exciting way to see these amazing coastlines and beaches ( capacity 10 passengers ) . Taxis Services
On the north coast just east of Cala Morell is a robinson crusoe style set of beaches
Smaller of a pair of virgin beaches on the south coast set in a grandiose horseshoe shaped bay with
Shallow waters and sandy bottom. A beautiful backdrop of the Binigaus Valley
Naturist and Nudist Beaches
There are no officially designated nudist beaches.
Remoter virgin beaches where you find textile free sun bathing are Algairens,Binimel-la,Cala Barril,Cala Calderer,Cales Coves,Cala Pilar,Cala des Tamarells,Cala Macarelleta, Cala Mitjanetta, Cala Mica,Cala Pilar,Cala Pregonda,Cala Presili,Cala Mesquida, Cala Trebaluger and Cala Es Bots.
Quieter spots of larger resort beaches will also be used eg Son Bou, Santo Thomas and Cala en Porter.
Interactive Map with Menorca's Beach locations
See for yourself the beauty of these beaches, just click on the map below to open up a fully interactive map of the island.
Photo Copyright : Aquataxi Menorca
You can now use a number of Water Taxis to arrange a drop-off /pick-up to the amazing virgin beaches. A great way to see Menorca's amazing unspoilt coastline and remoter beaches Water Taxis Services
Menorca Holiday Beach Tips
1. 'If the wind is blowing from the north visit the south coast beaches, and visit the north if the wind is from the south' Also it still amazes us but it can be cloudy at one end of the island and bright sunshine at the other. So get in the hire car and head out if the clouds have appeared.
2. These virgin beaches listed below can be reached by car and a short walk even with small children. Give yourself a beach experience to remember - just go! Take a picnic and visit these places after 17:00. Often any parking or access charges will not be collected as the attendant has gone home, the beach will be emptying even more and you will be able to enjoy a magnificent sunset - and we promise you if you have any children, afterwards they will love you too!
- Cala Macarella
- Cala Mitjana
- Cala Mesquida
- Cala'n Turqueta
- Cala Algaiarens
- Son Saura
3. By taking one of the half or full day boat trips, you can visit some of the bays and beaches that are only reachable from the sea. An unforgettable experience
4. Always ensure you have plenty of water with you when you visit the virgin beaches as often there are no bars or such facilities. Just pure nature. And don't forget a bag to take your rubbish away again.
5. Loungers and Umberellas. Two sun loungers and an umbrella are on average 18 Euros a day to hire! A sun umbrella in a supermarket will cost from 8(out of resort) -15(in resort) Euro. Buy one and leave it behind in the Holiday Home if there is not one to use there on the beaches. The lean-back beach seats ( photo below ) will cost no more than 6-9 Euros ( local resort shops ) for a good quality one and are more comfortable than always resting on your elbows! (sink legs into sand for stability)